16 1/16 x 20 1/16 in. (40.8 x 50.9 cm)
(Olean, NY, 1885 - 1958)
Medium and Support:
Oil on board
Bequest of Sylvia Davis
Location: Not currently on view
Clifford Ulp began teaching at Mechanics Institute (now RIT) in 1913, the same year the Memorial Art Gallery came into being. As president of the Rochester Art Club from 1928 to1932, he was well-known for his paintings of upstate New York scenes, although we have no information about the location depicted here. Over the years, the surface of this work has darkened with accumulated grime in several spots and would benefit from a professional cleaning.
[Label text from It Came From the Vault exhibition, 2013]